We are facing challenging times, and it doesn’t seem to be letting up anytime soon. So what do you do when you become overwhelmed by everything and don’t have all the answers? After you just spent months stuck indoors due to Covid-19 it’s hard to believe that now you are dealing with curfews, protests, political unrest, and pure media madness. I am here to offer some useful strategies for you to find a balance for yourself and your relationship during stressful times.
- Limit Your Daily Consumption of Media – I wholeheartedly feel that a lot of your stress and overwhelm are caused by being bombarded with negative images and conflicting news coverage. Social Media is full of users who are reacting emotionally and “in their feelings when they post, which has an effect on your psyche. Words carry energy and part of taking care of yourself is limiting your exposure to negative content. You can still participate and communicate your feelings, however, it is important to be clear on the difference between your own feelings and what is being picked up from others.
- Talk through your feelings and emotions with your partner. Open up a healthy dialogue with each other as a way to check-in and offer love and support. If you share different views, choose to respect each other’s feelings, and communicate when you are both feeling receptive. The key is not to isolate yourself and prevent causing distance between you and your mate.
- Choose a special time each day to surround yourself with joyful things. Put on your favorite playlist, be silly, and dance around the house. Grab a bottle of wine, put your feet up, and focus on the things that you are grateful for. This will instantly open your heart and calm your nerves. Watch an inspiring movie or show to lift your mood and remind you that this moment is temporary.
- Nourish your body with healthy, life-enriched foods. If you are feeling lethargic or lack energy, consume mostly raw foods that day. If you are not a fruit or vegetable lover, make a smoothie mixed with greens and protein powder to increase your vitality. Heavy and hard-to-digest foods like cooked meats and dairy products slow down your digestion, resulting in depression and lack of energy.
- Spend time with people who lift your spirits and support your happiness. Schedule an online weekly social hang with friends or choose a safe, outdoor space where you can social-distance hang with friends. Getting out of your own head and thoughts is much easier when you are around other people. Establish boundaries beforehand, and let them know you want to limit your time discussing current events. You would like your time with them to be a break from the noise. I am sure they will appreciate it later.
As a Board-Certified Hypnotherapist/NLP Practitioner and Doctor of Spiritual Coaching, I have counseled hundreds of couples and individuals and supported them in cultivating joy in themselves and their partnerships. If you find that you would benefit from one-on-one sessions, I am offering discounted services at this time. To learn more, you can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org In the meantime, take care of yourself and stay safe.